The Robert Wilson/Philip Glass collaboration Einstein on the Beach, An Opera in Four Acts is widely recognized as one of the greatest artistic achievements of the 20th century. Although every performance of the work has attracted a sold-out audience, and the music has been recorded and released, few people have actually experienced Einstein live. An entirely new generation—and numerous cities where the work has never been presented—will have the opportunity during the 2012-2013 international tour. The revival, helmed by Wilson and Glass along with choreographer Lucinda Childs, marks the first full production in 20 years.
Aside from New York, Einstein on the Beach has never been seen in any of the cities currently on the tour, which comprises nine stops on three continents:
- Opéra et Orchestre National de Montpellier Languedoc-Roussillon presents the world premiere at the Opera Berlioz Le Corum March 16—18, 2012.
- Fondazione I TEATRI di Reggio Emilia in collaboration with Change Performing Arts will present performances on March 24 & 25 at Teatro Valli.
- From May 4—13, 2012, the Barbican will present the first-ever UK performances of the work in conjunction with the Cultural Olympiad and London 2012 Festival.
- A special patron trip and premiere event in London to support The Watermill Center
- The North American premiere, June 8—10, 2012 at the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts, as part of the Luminato, Toronto Festival of Arts and Creativity, represents the first presentation in Canada.
- The Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) 2012 Next Wave Festival will once again be home to the New York premiere,September 14—23, 2012, having presented the 1984 and 1992 iterations. For more information about the event and to purchase tickets, visit BAM’s site.
- A September 14 premiere event to support The Watermill Center. To purchase tickets click HERE.
- Having never before been presented on the West Coast, the production will run October 26—28, 2012 at Cal Performances at Zellerbach Hall on the University of California, Berkeley campus.
- The National Institute of Fine Arts (INBA) will present the first-ever Latin American performances November 9—11, 2012 at Mexico City’s Palacio de Bellas Artes.
- Amsterdam’s De Nederlandse Opera/The Amsterdam Music Theatre will present performances at Het MuziektheaterJanuary 5—12, 2013.
- The tour is scheduled to conclude when Hong Kong Arts Festival presents three performances, March 6—8, 2013 at the Hong Kong Cultural Centre Grand Theatre.
Produced by Pomegranate Arts, Inc., the new production of Einstein on the Beach, An Opera in Four Acts was commissioned by BAM; the Barbican, London; Cal Performances University of California, Berkeley; Luminato, Toronto Festival of Arts and Creativity; De Nederlandse Opera/The Amsterdam Music Theatre; Opéra et Orchestre National de Montpellier Languedoc-Rousillon; and the University Musical Society of the University of Michigan, which hosted technical rehearsals and early previews in January 2012.
We would love to hear from you! Please complete the form and let us know how we can assist you. The information you provide is confidential and will not be used for any other purpose.
Notice: Undefined index: linked_name in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/Watermill/tribe-events/single-event.php on line 344